Brief History of Uppada Pattu Saree
Uppada Pattu sarees are made from the age old Jamdani method. These sarees are famous for the unique designs. Weavers use non-mechanical techniques in weaving these sarees.Uppada Silk sarees are described by the length and breadth count of threads.
Light weight is the speciality of these sarees. The colors used in these sarees are very attractive and women want to wear in their special occasions.
History of Uppada pattu sarees
Before knowing the story of Uppada Silk, one has to principally investigate the course of the Jamdani weaving method. After a sag in the 19th century due to the manufacturing failure in England, Jamdani witnessed a moderate improvement in the 20th century.As a result, the method of Jamdani was introduced in Uppada in the year 1988 where it included designs which became popular in Andhra Pradesh. This is the beginning of a new variety of silk sarees named Uppada Silk Sarees.
Moreover it took about ten years for Uppada Sarees to get appreciation and fame. The name Jamdani in Uppada Jamdani Sari is a Persian vocabulary, in which Jam is flower and Dani is Vase. Jamdani style of weaving was started in Bangladesh.
In the 18th Century, It was taken to the south and in Uppada village of East Godavari region, Andhra Pradesh, India Jamdani style of weaving redesigned with a historical boom.
The Jamdani style of weaving was continued as tradition since 300 years. In 1972, Uppada weavers were accepted by Govt. of India with President’s award.
Uppada village is located at 39 KMs from Kakinada, it is a beach town that comes under East Godavari district in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
Padmasali community is the major caste here engaged in the weaving of these sarees which have artistic zari work in their beautiful designs.
Material used in Uppada Pattu Saree
For weving a beautiful uppada saree, weavers will take two meticulous months because of the art work included and weavers weave each saree by hands.
The expansion of ans is 100 and the width is 100 in the weaving method of Uppada sarees. Two weavers operate on a single loom and weave gentle and pretty patterns on the material by zari work.
At the beginning stage of weaving uppada sarees in jamdani weaving method it was very tough for the weavers because they are not familiar with those complex arts of hand weaving and it took a lot of time for weaving.
Saree is one of the most regular outfits for Indian women. They love to wear beautiful sarees on their special occasions. Because of the unique patterns, Light weight and decorative designs, uppada sarees have become the best choice for women.
The Jamdani Weaving technique hired in these uppada sarees is started in Bengal and reached to various states in India. It is also called as Neelambari method of weaving in the North. Because of the complex structure of handloom weaving weavers need sufficient time and talents.
Process of Weaving
Before weaving a saree, weavers will clean the yarn first and submerged in the stain to color it. After that the fiber will be rinsed, air-dried and stiffened for a perfect look along with a long-lasting colour.
Then the yarn is palced onto the warp and now the yarn is equipped for weaving a saree. It will take around one week to a weaver to produce four uppada sarees from that thread. Furthermore weavers need to add more complex decorations and zari production.
It may take another twenty days for a weaver to weave a saree completely. There is a great revolution in weaving and weaving abilities are moved on from generations.
Measurements and weight of Uppada pattu saree
For weaving Uppada silk sarees, the length of strings is 100 and the width is also 100. For Jamdani style of weving two weavers will work on a single loom to produce delicate and wonderful patterns on the saree.
The count which is used in weaving of these sarees gives softness to the fabric. In hand loom weaving fabric count means the number of threads woven length and breadth wise.
This type of weaving is also known as warp and wept respectively in a square inch. The beautiful zari works will be done by professionals for rendering the best output.
Why Uppada pattu sarees are lightweight
The patterns and themes of upppada silk are very unique and the bright colors make the saree even more light weight.
These beautiful Uppada pattu sarees were weaved with silk, gold and silver zari threads. Women prefer to wear these Uppada silk sarees in their wedding and other special occassions.
Being light in weight, the floral designs, peacock or curved motifs in the Jamdani pattern, perfectly aligned in margins and a beautiful matiching pallu, make the look of the saree extremely attractive and this will give a geater satisfaction to women.
Types of Uppada sarees
Weavers of uppada sarees have developed somany patterns and varieties in weaving uppada pattu sarees. Here is the list of different types of uppada sarees.
• Plain uppada pattu sarees
• Multi colour uppada sarees
• Half and half uppada sarees
• Checks uppada sarees
• Big border uppada sarees
• Uppada pattu saree with big pallus
• Uppada Cotton sarees
• Uppada pattu saree with pocahampally border
How to Identify Uppada Jamdani Sari
In Uppada weaving style, the designs are two sided i.e when we touch the cloth, we can identify that the design is not separate from the cloth. There will be no loose threads on either side of the saree.
Why Uppada pattu sarees are so special
Uppada pattu sarees are one of the most beautiful sarees and they have been recognized as one of the leading fabric in Indian textile world.
The person who is the path finder for this art is Mr. Ghanshyam Sarode, conveyed the series of Uppada Pattu Sarees overseas several times to Europe, UK, Hongkong, Dubai, Singapore and korea.
These Uppada silks sarees are very special because of the texture, colours used and the beautiful art work weaved on the saree. The special feature of this saree is its weight.
India is famous for its pattu sarees and mostly South India. There are several types of Pattu sarees in South India. In South India we call silk as “Pattu”.
In the World Inida is in the second place of having yielders of silk and chaina is in the first place.
The consumption of Silk is very high in India because it is a culture in India to wear a Pattu saree at the time of weddings and other traditional events. Wearing silk is a symbol of tradition and pride.
For what occasions Uppada pattu sarees are the best
You can see different varieties of sarees in Uppada like from Kalamkari to Kanchipuram, Benaras to Khadi etc., Bearasi saree frequently been wear by Indian woman mainly on their weddings and that saree is called as wedding occasion saree.
Now women are choosing Uppada saree also as their wedding saree. Other than that, Uppada Pattu sarees are worn by women in several traditional occassions like bridal shower, receptions, parties, baby shower, house warming ceremonies etc.,
Banarasi Pattu sarees from Uppada are normally identified for their intricacy in the production of zari and resham. One of the outstanding characteristics of Banarasi Pattu Sarees from Uppaa is its light weight and radiant appearance.
Uppada pure silk saree with floral design with a golden border and with a bright pallu is suitable for parties and celebrations. Uppada half and half sree with zari border is suitable for many occasions.
New innovations are coming up in the weaving of uppada sarees those are beautifula and is suitable for more special occasions.
Another salient feature of uppada silk saree the weaving of uppada sarees is surprisingly suitable for the summer seasons. Along with pattu sarees weavers of uppada weave uppada cotton sarees also.
These sarees are comfortable to wear regularly in summer season. Each uppada saree is unique and exhibits its style and beauty. So, ladies please stop searching here and there and opt uppada sarees to be the center of attraction and enhance your beauty.
Price range of Uppada sarees
Because of the beautiful appearance and light weight material, the price ranging from 4000/- to 20000/-. Apart from price there are various types of Uppada sarees available in the market which can satisfy the need of every woman.
These uppada sarees are also available in wholesale prices also. The wholesale price of uppada pattu sarees vary from the price of a saree in an outlet. Now the electronic media is developed and many weavers and merchants are selling these uppada sarees online also.
With the help of different social media platforms they are selling these sarees online and people are showing interest to buy these uppada sarees online.
These Uppada silk saress are undoubtedly a costly saree because of its salient features. If you buy online you can get better discount.
How to maintain Uppada silk sarees
Uppada silk sarees and other silk sarees are very precious and with proper care and attention they can be preserved for years without losing its glow and freshness.
Here are some tips and directions for preserving your silk sarees for a longer time with the same brightness and look.
Directions for washing Silk sarees
Doesn’t machine wash a pure silk saree.
A pattu saree should be either hand wash or dry clean.
If you want to wash the silk saree at home please wash a small corner of the saree as a test if the color is running out or not.
If the saree is having more colors we have to test each color on the same saree independently.
If the color is running out
• Don’t wash with detergent in the beginning itself
• After cleaning with plain water two to three times, use a good detergent and wash quickly.
• Don’t keep the saree soaked in detergent water for a long time.
• Don’t brush a silk saree. There is a chance of tearing of silk or zari.
• Wash pallu and remaining body of the saree separately in the beginning.
• In case of stains, wash the saree with cold water immediately.
• If the stains are hard it is better to be dry cleaned.
• Please follow the care instructions carefully before washing washable silk.
• For those silk items without linings and without decorations attached, careful hand wash is fine with mild soap and lukewarm water.
• Don’t do chlorine bleach for silk sarees.
• Generally dry cleaning is preferred to wash pattu sarees
To remove stains,
• First use a cotton cloth or paper towel on the stain and let the cloth or paper absorb as much as possible before the stain gets dried on the saree. Wash the silk saree immediately after stain.
• If the stain is hard stain, dry clean the saree. Dry cleaning is the best washing method for hard stains. If you want to clean hard stains at home you must be very careful while cleaning.
• You can apply a mild stain remover. Don’t apply the stain remover directly on the saree. First you have to apply only on a small portion of the saree and check whether the stain remover is safe to use or not. If you are satisfied with the result apply the stain remover on the saree.
• Usual stains like sweat, oil, blood can be cleaned with mild detergent.
• All mid usual stains like oil, sweat, blood, can be cleaned with mild detergent.
• For every small stain dry cleaning is not required.
Maintenance of Silk Sarees
• Keep the iron in medium or low heat while ironing.
• While ironing a pattu saree it is suggested to iron the saree between two pieces of white cloth. It is not recommended to wet the saree before ironing or to use a steam iron.
• Store these silk sarees in a cool dry place.
• Don’t store these pattu sarees with metal/zari yarns in plastic covers. There is a chance of getting reaction with plastics and the zari will get dark.
• Cotton lined boxes or covers are best suitable to store these silk sarees
• Doesn’t place naphthalene balls directly in contact with the saree. The chemicals in naphthalene balls may harm the saree.
• Dry the silk saree in an airy place once in three months. Don’t dry these sarees in hot sun it may lead to losing the colour of the saree.
• Don’t fold the saree in the same manner as before. There may be a chance of tearing along that line if you fold the saree as before.
• Don’t hang pattu sarees in iron hangers. Because of the hangers sarees will get stain.
• If a silk saree need to store for a long-time, it should be sealed against light, air and insects. Storing the silk saree rolled on a cardboard pipe can prevent the saree from piercing.
Hope this article provides you the information about history of uppada sarees, speciality, price range, occassions to wear these sarees and maintenance of uppada silk sarees. Let me know if i miss any points. Love to hear from you.